FAQs on General


There are changes to the process of applying for a visa to study in the UK.

If you are an international student, you will probably need a visa to allow you to enter the UK to study.

DAL will ask for a deposit from all (non-EEA) international students as a result of the Tier 4 visa arrangements. You must pay a deposit before we can issue your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). Further details can be found below.

As an international student you will probably need a student visa to allow you to study in the UK. This page explains which documents international students will need to obtain their visa under the UK Points Based Immigration System.

When you apply for your visa what will you need?

A Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number from your chosen College. The UK student visa will include the name of your chosen College, so you should make sure you know the College you want to attend before you apply for a visa.

Original copies and certified translations of the documents listed on your CAS statement e.g. certificates and transcripts.

Evidence that you have enough money to pay the first year of your course tuition fees (the amount quoted on your offer letter, minus any deposit you have paid the College or any bursary you have been offered).

Evidence that you have enough money to cover your living expenses in the UK. Please visit the UKBA site for more information.

This money must have been in a bank account in your name for at least 28 days before you apply for a visa OR in an account held by your parent/s or legal guardian.

If you choose to use the bank account of your parents, you must include with your visa application an original birth certificate or certificate of guardianship as well as a letter from your parent/guardian stating that the money is to be used for your studies.

If you have dependents, you will need to show that you have enough money available to support them. Please see the UKBA site for more details.

More information on the money you will need can be found here.

When will you be sent your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number/statement by DAL?

We will email you a statement containing your CAS number within 6 months of the start date of the course and once you have done all of the following:

Been provided with an unconditional offer of a place or have met all of the terms of your conditional offer;

Paid a deposit towards your tuition fees or provided us with a letter from your official financial sponsor responsible for paying your fees (see below for details on how to pay your deposit);

Accepted your offer by signing and sending back the acceptance letter;

Provided the Admissions Department with a photocopy of your passport;

Please note: once all of these have been done, the Admissions Department will prepare your CAS letter. As deposit payments take a number of days to clear and time is also needed for the Finance Department to inform the Admissions Office of your payment, a CAS letter will take between 5-10 working days following receipt of all the documents mentioned above. We will e-mail you or your designated agent a copy of your letter containing your CAS number. You will not need an original copy of the letter.

Please note that although the CAS is valid for 6 months from date of issue, you cannot apply for your visa until 3 months prior to the start of the course.

If you would like to read other Questions & Answers then please use right upper side FAQ’s Categories Menu!